Sunday, May 27, 2012

Mid-May on Lake Nippenicket

Got out in the yellow kayak a  couple of Fridays ago for an hour-long paddle around the east side of Nippenicket with my camera, photographing a riot of red-winged blackbirds and the landscape and flowers.  Collected a couple of plant specimens to ID, too.  Thinking about the idea of a little book: Nippenicket Through the Year.  The next day I and the boys spent two hours on the western shore and got lots more photos.  I also got a bad sunburn on my legs--especially my shins.  (Next time I will have something light-proof to cover them with!  -and sunscreen!)  This time I got some good photos of a great blue heron, among the hundred or so I took.  I have begun to catch on to the fact that my camera can't compete with the slrs with their big telephoto lenses: my camera takes pretty good amateur shots, but they would look very Mickey Mouse in a book.  Maybe my text could make up for that... 

Can you find both red-winged blackbirds?

Here is one family that knows how to enjoy the pond.


Kids out for a walk with Mom.

Yellow irises in bloom.


Royal fern (Osmunda regalis).

Trevor is entranced by the red-winged blackbirds.

Yellow water lily (Nuphar advena) and the insectivorous bladderwort (Utricularia inflata) in bloom.


A great blue heron...


...takes flight.

A willow (Salix cordata) in bloom.

Almost home.

No comments:

Post a Comment