Monday, June 18, 2012

Fourth Leg: Provincetown to Plymouth and Hingham

Sailing in to Hingham Harbor would "connect the dots" among the farthest-flung places in New England that I've sailed.  But it would be about 50NM to do the thing by hitting Plymouth first, then sailingup the coast to Hingham.  And going direct toward Boston Harbor from Provincetown would make the day impossibly long, without saving much distance.  So I'll likely go to Plymouth first, even if I don't go all the way into that tricky harbor.  Unfortunately, these will be night-time arrivals no matter how early I start and how I break up the trip: the flood tide doesn't begin until late in both places.  And I know from experience that I can't fight those currents.  Thank goodness for gps: these will be the third and fourth night-time arrivals of the trip.  Only Chatham will be done in daylight.

Beatrice is prepared to pick me up from either location, though I may make her life a bit easier by spending the night afloat in some out-of-the-way corner, and have her come for us in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment